Adventures of a lesbian attorney superhero.



Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Dear GF #4

Dear GF,

I woke up this morning and put on my grandmother's wedding ring.  I haven't worn it in years.  She was a dairy farmer, and her ring has just a little chip of a diamond.  But for some reason I wore it today, and when I put it on I asked my grandmother for her help.  And then I wondered if that was a such a good idea, given that there is a very good chance that my dairy farmer grandmother would have been horrified by my lesbian relationship.

But maybe not.  Because later this morning, you finally texted me back.  I asked if we could meet this evening and you agreed.  As you were approaching, I saw you begin to cry.  And I began to cry.  And we hugged.

We took a walk along the water and sat on a bench and watched the sun set over Pretty Big City.  We talked.  There were more tears.  I held your hand and told you that I love you.  After the sun went down you were cold.  We got some dinner even though I still can't really eat.

You are not moving home.  But I am to find a couples counselor.  I don't know how things are going to turn out.  But I do know that I am not going to take my grandmother's ring off.

6 comments:

  1. wow... that's something! hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a pretty good ring. keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really happy to hear that you were able to talk. I've been with my husband for 10 years and I couldn't imagine the sense of loss that I would feel if he were to leave. It must be a very difficult time for you, but at least now you have met and are hopefully working towards a resolution or at least closure. The not knowing where someone is and what they are doing would kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you are getting some kind of answers rather than just wondering forever. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete